Portugal has always been a country of choice for foreign families, remote workers, and retirees looking for a place in the sun in southern Europe.
Known for its gastronomy, hospitality, and amazing beaches – which are already reasons enough to justify a move – Portugal also offers tax benefits to foreigners moving to the country, and to those who, being Portuguese citizens, have resided abroad in the last 5 years.
New tax residents, who acquire the Non-Habitual Resident Status (NHR), benefit from a special IRS rate of 20% for 10 years.
Table of Contents:
1. What is Non-Habitual Resident Status?
2. Who is eligible and who qualifies as a Non-Habitual Resident?
3. How to obtain NHR status in Portugal?
4. When to apply for NHR status in Portugal?
5. What are the benefits of the NHR tax regime?
6. How long does the NHR status last?
7. How can GuestReady help me with moving to Portugal?